Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mother Superior
EXTERNAL ID
PAW19448
PLACENAME
N/A
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21072
KEYWORDS
nuns
convents
fires
Mother Superior

The first Catholic Church built in Inverness since the Reformation was St Mary's, Huntly Street, built in 1837. Soon after, in 1845, Franciscan nuns came to Inverness from Glasgow. They were initially based in King Street before moving to a house adjoining the church in Huntly Street. They ran a school which attracted pupils from all over Scotland.
The sisters were recalled to Glasgow in 1935 and their place was taken by the Sisters of Notre Dame. They reopened the Convent School and moved it to Huntly Lodge, on the corner of Culduthel Road and Southside Road. They also owned the neighbouring house, Hill Park. Hill Park was at first let to Mr Kenneth Chisholm-Pant, but was later used as a hostel for the convent, serving Catholic schoolgirls from outside Inverness who attended Inverness Royal Academy and Inverness High School. From 1953, the school and hostel were run by nuns of the Order of La Sagesse.

Hill Park was destroyed by fire on 12 June 1959. The Inverness Courier reported the fire:
"[Sister Rose] was awakened by the fire and found the way downstairs to the telephone barred by flames. Assisted by some schoolgirls, she immediately set about tying sheets together to make a rope, then started to climb down it from the top floor, 30 feet up. When only a few feet down, however, she lost her grip and fell to the ground, breaking her right shoulder bone. After climbing out of a top storey window, Chrissie Buchanan (13), a schoolgirl from Castlebay, Barra, missed her grasp on a ronepipe and fell 30 feet. She sustained a compound fracture of her left leg, and both she and Sister Rose were taken to Raigmore Hospital. Miss Edna Walton, Oban, an Inverness High School teacher, led the seven other girls in residence to safety."

The remains of Hill Park form the foundations of St. Ninians's Church


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mother Superior

nuns; convents; fires

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The first Catholic Church built in Inverness since the Reformation was St Mary's, Huntly Street, built in 1837. Soon after, in 1845, Franciscan nuns came to Inverness from Glasgow. They were initially based in King Street before moving to a house adjoining the church in Huntly Street. They ran a school which attracted pupils from all over Scotland.<br /> The sisters were recalled to Glasgow in 1935 and their place was taken by the Sisters of Notre Dame. They reopened the Convent School and moved it to Huntly Lodge, on the corner of Culduthel Road and Southside Road. They also owned the neighbouring house, Hill Park. Hill Park was at first let to Mr Kenneth Chisholm-Pant, but was later used as a hostel for the convent, serving Catholic schoolgirls from outside Inverness who attended Inverness Royal Academy and Inverness High School. From 1953, the school and hostel were run by nuns of the Order of La Sagesse.<br /> <br /> Hill Park was destroyed by fire on 12 June 1959. The Inverness Courier reported the fire:<br /> "[Sister Rose] was awakened by the fire and found the way downstairs to the telephone barred by flames. Assisted by some schoolgirls, she immediately set about tying sheets together to make a rope, then started to climb down it from the top floor, 30 feet up. When only a few feet down, however, she lost her grip and fell to the ground, breaking her right shoulder bone. After climbing out of a top storey window, Chrissie Buchanan (13), a schoolgirl from Castlebay, Barra, missed her grasp on a ronepipe and fell 30 feet. She sustained a compound fracture of her left leg, and both she and Sister Rose were taken to Raigmore Hospital. Miss Edna Walton, Oban, an Inverness High School teacher, led the seven other girls in residence to safety."<br /> <br /> The remains of Hill Park form the foundations of St. Ninians's Church <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />