Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Hotels on Ness Walk in Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAW23236
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1958
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21201
KEYWORDS
Hotels
accommodation
Ness Walk
Columba
Hotels on Ness Walk in Inverness

Hotels on Ness Walk in Inverness.

The Palace Hotel (centre) was built in 1890, to the designs of Dr. Alexander Ross. It is a baronial-style three storey building, with two conical-roofed towers, connected by an arch. The construction of the railway made Inverness a popular tourist destination and the Palace was one of the first tourist hotels in the town.

The Columba Hotel (right), also designed by Ross, was built in 1881. When it first opened, it was called 'The Victoria' and then it became 'The Alexandra' during the 1920s. It was not until 1923 that it came to be known as 'The Columba'. Above the front first-storey window is a tablet with a carving of a dove. 'Columba' is Latin for 'dove'


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Hotels on Ness Walk in Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

Hotels; accommodation; Ness Walk; Columba

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

Hotels on Ness Walk in Inverness.<br /> <br /> The Palace Hotel (centre) was built in 1890, to the designs of Dr. Alexander Ross. It is a baronial-style three storey building, with two conical-roofed towers, connected by an arch. The construction of the railway made Inverness a popular tourist destination and the Palace was one of the first tourist hotels in the town. <br /> <br /> The Columba Hotel (right), also designed by Ross, was built in 1881. When it first opened, it was called 'The Victoria' and then it became 'The Alexandra' during the 1920s. It was not until 1923 that it came to be known as 'The Columba'. Above the front first-storey window is a tablet with a carving of a dove. 'Columba' is Latin for 'dove' <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.