Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
North Ford Causeway
EXTERNAL ID
PAW23949D
PLACENAME
North Ford Causeway
DATE OF IMAGE
1959
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21249
KEYWORDS
roads
bridges
causeways
North Ford Causeway

The North Ford Causeway is the longest causeway on the Western Isles, five miles between Gramisdale in Benbecula and Carinish in North Uist, via the western tip of Grimsay. It was opened by the Queen Mother on 7 September 1960. A single track road runs along the top of the causeway with a total of nine passing places to each mile. The engineering contractors were Sir Alexander Gibb and partners


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

North Ford Causeway

1950s

roads; bridges; causeways

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The North Ford Causeway is the longest causeway on the Western Isles, five miles between Gramisdale in Benbecula and Carinish in North Uist, via the western tip of Grimsay. It was opened by the Queen Mother on 7 September 1960. A single track road runs along the top of the causeway with a total of nine passing places to each mile. The engineering contractors were Sir Alexander Gibb and partners <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.