Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Entrance to David Whyte's photographic studios, Church St, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAW24173
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1959
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21262
KEYWORDS
David Whyte
Church Street
Huntly Street
Union Street
Entrance to David Whyte's photographic studios, Church St, Inverness

The entrance to David Whyte's photographic studios, at number 57, Church Street in Inverness.

David Whyte (1841-1905), the self-styled 'Leading Photographer of the North', came to Inverness from his native Ayr in the 1860s and established a photographic business in the town. His first premises were in Greig Street but he soon outgrew these and moved in quick succession to premises in Huntly Street, then to Union Street. In 1870 he purchased the business of his rivals, Messrs Collier & Park, at 18 Church Street. His final move, sometime in the 1870s, took him a few doors down to 57 Church Street and there the business remained until 1985.

The majority of his photographs were commissioned and include portraits of family groups, weddings and babies. Of particular interest to the social historian are the many photographs of shop windows and frontages.

After his death in 1905 his widow continued to operate the business for several more years. Subsequently, a succession of proprietors took over the business but maintained Whyte's name. It finally closed in 1985. The last proprietor, Mr F Hardley, deposited the vast collection of around 140,000 negatives and prints to the Highland Regional Council's Museums Service. They are now in the care of the Highland Photographic Archive.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Entrance to David Whyte's photographic studios, Church St, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

David Whyte; Church Street; Huntly Street; Union Street

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The entrance to David Whyte's photographic studios, at number 57, Church Street in Inverness.<br /> <br /> David Whyte (1841-1905), the self-styled 'Leading Photographer of the North', came to Inverness from his native Ayr in the 1860s and established a photographic business in the town. His first premises were in Greig Street but he soon outgrew these and moved in quick succession to premises in Huntly Street, then to Union Street. In 1870 he purchased the business of his rivals, Messrs Collier & Park, at 18 Church Street. His final move, sometime in the 1870s, took him a few doors down to 57 Church Street and there the business remained until 1985.<br /> <br /> The majority of his photographs were commissioned and include portraits of family groups, weddings and babies. Of particular interest to the social historian are the many photographs of shop windows and frontages.<br /> <br /> After his death in 1905 his widow continued to operate the business for several more years. Subsequently, a succession of proprietors took over the business but maintained Whyte's name. It finally closed in 1985. The last proprietor, Mr F Hardley, deposited the vast collection of around 140,000 negatives and prints to the Highland Regional Council's Museums Service. They are now in the care of the Highland Photographic Archive. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.