Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Demolition of Suspension Bridge, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAW24295
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1959
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21270
KEYWORDS
Ness Suspension Bridge
Inverness
battlemented archway
Demolition of Suspension Bridge, Inverness

The old Ness Suspension Bridge opened in 1855 and had a span of 225 feet. Because of the narrow opening of the eastern archway and the increasing volume of traffic crossing the bridge, plans were made to replace the structure. Meanwhile, a speed limit of 10 miles per hour was imposed and a man with a red flag could be seen controlling the traffic, ensuring the bridge was never overloaded. The onset of World War II caused the removal of the man with the red flag and the bridge was eventually closed in 1959.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Demolition of Suspension Bridge, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

Ness Suspension Bridge; Inverness; battlemented archway

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The old Ness Suspension Bridge opened in 1855 and had a span of 225 feet. Because of the narrow opening of the eastern archway and the increasing volume of traffic crossing the bridge, plans were made to replace the structure. Meanwhile, a speed limit of 10 miles per hour was imposed and a man with a red flag could be seen controlling the traffic, ensuring the bridge was never overloaded. The onset of World War II caused the removal of the man with the red flag and the bridge was eventually closed in 1959. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.