Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fire Engine
EXTERNAL ID
PAW27233A
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1963
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21427
KEYWORDS
fire engines
fire stations
buildings
Fire Engine

A fire engine parked outside Inverness Fire Station. The first fire service in Inverness was established in 1819 by the North British Fire Insurance Company and funded by public subscription. This continued until 1850 when the service was placed under the management of the General Commissioners of the Police and Burgh, an elected body. There were several periods of reorganisation in the 20th century including the creation of the National Fire Service in 1941 and the formation, in 1948, of the Northern Area Fire Brigade. The full-time station at Fraser Park opened in the early 1960s. There is also a retained station at Castle Wynd.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fire Engine

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1960s

fire engines; fire stations; buildings

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

A fire engine parked outside Inverness Fire Station. The first fire service in Inverness was established in 1819 by the North British Fire Insurance Company and funded by public subscription. This continued until 1850 when the service was placed under the management of the General Commissioners of the Police and Burgh, an elected body. There were several periods of reorganisation in the 20th century including the creation of the National Fire Service in 1941 and the formation, in 1948, of the Northern Area Fire Brigade. The full-time station at Fraser Park opened in the early 1960s. There is also a retained station at Castle Wynd. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.