Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Guisachan House
EXTERNAL ID
PAWA0000396-A0000401(D)
PLACENAME
Guisachan Estate
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21489
KEYWORDS
Guisachan House
Guisachan
estates
houses
Frasers of Guisachan
buildings
Lord Tweedmouth
Guisachan House

Painting of Guisachan House. The original house on Guisachan Estate, in upper Strathglass, was burnt down by the Duke of Cumberland's troops in 1745. William Fraser 9th of Guisachan inherited the estate on his father's death in 1755 and built a new mansion house. The estate was subsequently sold to Lord Tweedmouth in 1855. By 1962 Guisachan House was a ruin. This painting appears to show the original Guisachan House that was destroyed in 1745 as photographs of the present ruin show the same landscape but a smaller building. Guisachan is from the Gaelic "giuthais" meaning pine trees


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Guisachan House

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

Guisachan House; Guisachan; estates; houses; Frasers of Guisachan; buildings; Lord Tweedmouth

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

Painting of Guisachan House. The original house on Guisachan Estate, in upper Strathglass, was burnt down by the Duke of Cumberland's troops in 1745. William Fraser 9th of Guisachan inherited the estate on his father's death in 1755 and built a new mansion house. The estate was subsequently sold to Lord Tweedmouth in 1855. By 1962 Guisachan House was a ruin. This painting appears to show the original Guisachan House that was destroyed in 1745 as photographs of the present ruin show the same landscape but a smaller building. Guisachan is from the Gaelic "giuthais" meaning pine trees <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.