Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Avoch
EXTERNAL ID
PAWA00103911-103914
PLACENAME
Avoch
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Avoch
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21501
KEYWORDS
Avoch
war memorials
Sir Alexander Mackenzie
Thomas Telford
explorers
engineers
Avoch

Avoch, on the Moray Firth, was formerly a fishing village. Its harbour was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1814 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada was named. Sir Alexander is buried in Avoch. The wreaths on the war memorial suggest that the photograph was taken on or shortly after Remembrance Day, 11 November.

Telford's original harbour was expanded by the Avoch Harbour Trust, which was established by Act of Parliament in August 1903. An outer breakwater was added in 1905-6 and the East breakwater was built in 1912


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Avoch

ROSS: Avoch

1930s; 1940s

Avoch; war memorials; Sir Alexander Mackenzie; Thomas Telford; explorers; engineers

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

Avoch, on the Moray Firth, was formerly a fishing village. Its harbour was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1814 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada was named. Sir Alexander is buried in Avoch. The wreaths on the war memorial suggest that the photograph was taken on or shortly after Remembrance Day, 11 November.<br /> <br /> Telford's original harbour was expanded by the Avoch Harbour Trust, which was established by Act of Parliament in August 1903. An outer breakwater was added in 1905-6 and the East breakwater was built in 1912 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.