Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1908
EXTERNAL ID
PAWA56
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1908
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21531
KEYWORDS
Queens Own Cameron Highlanders
military uniforms
military
uniforms
war
armies
militia
battalions
barracks
Telford Road
3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1908

The photograph, taken in 1908 at the Telford Road Barracks, Inverness, Headquarters of the 3rd (Militia) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, includes Militia soldiers and the Officers and Non Commissioned Officers of the Permanent Staff. The Regular Army staff can be distinguished by their feather bonnets. The Telford Road Barracks were built in 1856 when the Inverness-shire Militia was re-designated the 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia. After the Army Reforms of 1908, when the Militia battalion became the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, its establishment was merged with the Regimental Depot of the Cameron Highlanders, and its Headquarters moved to Cameron Barracks. The Telford Road Barracks were subsequently sold and later became a bakery. When the site was redeveloped as flats in the 1980s, the key stone of the entrance arch was saved and set up at Cameron Barracks. Although from 1881 the Militia battalion wore the dress of the parent regiment The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, with the kilt of Cameron tartan and blue Glengarry bonnet, they still proudly wore the distinctive sporran of the old 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia, introduced in 1856. The sporran had three black tassels on a white hair background for senior NCOs, and three white tassels on grey hair for rank and file.



(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).





This image can be purchased.

For further information about purchasing and prices please email the

Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1908

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1900s

Queens Own Cameron Highlanders; military uniforms; military; uniforms; war; armies; militia; battalions; barracks; Telford Road

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The photograph, taken in 1908 at the Telford Road Barracks, Inverness, Headquarters of the 3rd (Militia) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, includes Militia soldiers and the Officers and Non Commissioned Officers of the Permanent Staff. The Regular Army staff can be distinguished by their feather bonnets. The Telford Road Barracks were built in 1856 when the Inverness-shire Militia was re-designated the 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia. After the Army Reforms of 1908, when the Militia battalion became the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, its establishment was merged with the Regimental Depot of the Cameron Highlanders, and its Headquarters moved to Cameron Barracks. The Telford Road Barracks were subsequently sold and later became a bakery. When the site was redeveloped as flats in the 1980s, the key stone of the entrance arch was saved and set up at Cameron Barracks. Although from 1881 the Militia battalion wore the dress of the parent regiment The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, with the kilt of Cameron tartan and blue Glengarry bonnet, they still proudly wore the distinctive sporran of the old 76th (Highland Light Infantry) Militia, introduced in 1856. The sporran had three black tassels on a white hair background for senior NCOs, and three white tassels on grey hair for rank and file. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> This image can be purchased.<br /><br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /><br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.