Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Avoch
EXTERNAL ID
PAWA13725C_AT
PLACENAME
Avoch
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Avoch
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
21588
KEYWORDS
Avoch
war memorials
Sir Alexander Mackenzie
Thomas Telford
explorers
engineers
Avoch

Avoch, on the Moray Firth, was formerly a fishing village. Its harbour was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1814 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada was named. Sir Alexander is buried in Avoch. The wreaths on the war memorial suggest that the photograph was taken on or shortly after Remembrance Day, 11 November.

Telford's original harbour was expanded by the Avoch Harbour Trust, which was established by Act of Parliament in August 1903. An outer breakwater was added in 1905-6 and the East breakwater was built in 1912

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Avoch

ROSS: Avoch

2000s

Avoch; war memorials; Sir Alexander Mackenzie; Thomas Telford; explorers; engineers

Andrew Taylor

Avoch, on the Moray Firth, was formerly a fishing village. Its harbour was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1814 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada was named. Sir Alexander is buried in Avoch. The wreaths on the war memorial suggest that the photograph was taken on or shortly after Remembrance Day, 11 November.<br /> <br /> Telford's original harbour was expanded by the Avoch Harbour Trust, which was established by Act of Parliament in August 1903. An outer breakwater was added in 1905-6 and the East breakwater was built in 1912