Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Achnacarry House, interior
EXTERNAL ID
PAWA14396
PLACENAME
Achnacarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
1939
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21600
KEYWORDS
castles
mansions
World War II
furniture
spinning wheels
fireplaces
dressers
Achnacarry House, interior

This small sitting room, or boudoir, was photographed in 1939. It is in Achnacarry House, home of the Camerons of Lochiel. Today the room is used as a pantry.

Achnacarry lies between Loch Arkaig and Loch Lochy. The original building on the site of the house dates from around 1655. It was burnt in 1746 after the Battle of Culloden. The house was rebuilt in 1802 to a design by James Gillespie Graham (1776-1855). During World War II, Achnacarry, or 'Castle Commando' as it was sometimes known, was used as a commando training centre


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Achnacarry House, interior

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1930s

castles; mansions; World War II; furniture; spinning wheels; fireplaces; dressers

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

This small sitting room, or boudoir, was photographed in 1939. It is in Achnacarry House, home of the Camerons of Lochiel. Today the room is used as a pantry.<br /> <br /> Achnacarry lies between Loch Arkaig and Loch Lochy. The original building on the site of the house dates from around 1655. It was burnt in 1746 after the Battle of Culloden. The house was rebuilt in 1802 to a design by James Gillespie Graham (1776-1855). During World War II, Achnacarry, or 'Castle Commando' as it was sometimes known, was used as a commando training centre <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.