Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Young & Chapman
EXTERNAL ID
PAWA14937
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1947 - 1948
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21606
KEYWORDS
shopfronts
shops
National Sewing Week
rationing
clothing
sewing
clothing coupons
ration books
Benzie & Miller Ltd
Young & Chapman
buildings
Young & Chapman

Shopfront of Young & Chapman, 13-17 Union Street, Inverness, promoting National Sewing Week with the slogan 'Sew save and be smart'. The display appears to consist mainly of large spools of thread made of cardboard and a very large copy of a book of clothing coupons dated 1947-48. Clothes rationing ended in Britain in February 1949. The shop was originally at the corner of Church Street and Bank Lane and moved to the larger site in Union Street in 1935. In 1952 the business was sold to Benzie & Miller Ltd of Fraserburgh


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Young & Chapman

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1940s

shopfronts; shops; National Sewing Week; rationing; clothing; sewing; clothing coupons; ration books; Benzie & Miller Ltd; Young & Chapman; buildings

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

Shopfront of Young & Chapman, 13-17 Union Street, Inverness, promoting National Sewing Week with the slogan 'Sew save and be smart'. The display appears to consist mainly of large spools of thread made of cardboard and a very large copy of a book of clothing coupons dated 1947-48. Clothes rationing ended in Britain in February 1949. The shop was originally at the corner of Church Street and Bank Lane and moved to the larger site in Union Street in 1935. In 1952 the business was sold to Benzie & Miller Ltd of Fraserburgh <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.