Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAW_CALEDONIAN_HOTEL
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21650
KEYWORDS
hotels
buildings
masons
cars
The Old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness

Cars parked by the River Ness outside the Caledonian Hotel. The Hotel was built in 1780 as a meeting place for members of the St John's Masonic Lodge. Because of this it was known as The Mason's Hotel or the Mason Lodge Hotel until it was renamed the Caledonian Hotel in 1825.

The building was enlarged in 1822 and 1882 and was renowned for its ballroom. At its height, its visitors included members of the British Royal family and other European nobility. The hotel was demolished in 1966 and replaced by a new building of the same name


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Old Caledonian Hotel, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

hotels; buildings; masons; cars

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

Cars parked by the River Ness outside the Caledonian Hotel. The Hotel was built in 1780 as a meeting place for members of the St John's Masonic Lodge. Because of this it was known as The Mason's Hotel or the Mason Lodge Hotel until it was renamed the Caledonian Hotel in 1825. <br /> <br /> The building was enlarged in 1822 and 1882 and was renowned for its ballroom. At its height, its visitors included members of the British Royal family and other European nobility. The hotel was demolished in 1966 and replaced by a new building of the same name <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.