Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Strathpeffer Pavilion (front)
EXTERNAL ID
PAW_PAV2
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21656
KEYWORDS
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
mineral waters
spring waters
spas
spa resorts
spa towns
alternative medicine
complementary medicine
railways
tourism
entertainment
buildings
architecture
Strathpeffer Pavilion (front)

This photograph shows the main entrance to the Strathpeffer Pavilion. Over the years the Pavilion has played host to many kinds of social events.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, the village developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'.

As the popularity of Strathpeffer grew, the need for a suitable meeting place was recognised. The Countess of Cromartie commissioned a local architect to design a building based on the casino at Baden Baden, which in turn was based on the Festspielhaus at Bayreuth. The resulting building was a grand Victorian Pavilion within a pleasure garden next to the Upper Pump Room. The total cost of the Pavilion was just over £2,700 and it was opened by the Countess of Sutherland on 10 August 1881.

During World War I the Pavilion was used as an American naval hospital. The popularity of Strathpeffer declined between the two world wars and the Pavilion gradually fell out of use. It was recently restored by the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust and is now managed by the Strathpeffer Pavilion Association as a venue for concerts, weddings, conferences and exhibitions.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Strathpeffer Pavilion (front)

ROSS: Fodderty

1950s; 1960s

Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; mineral waters; spring waters; spas; spa resorts; spa towns; alternative medicine; complementary medicine; railways; tourism; entertainment; buildings; architecture

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

This photograph shows the main entrance to the Strathpeffer Pavilion. Over the years the Pavilion has played host to many kinds of social events.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, the village developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'.<br /> <br /> As the popularity of Strathpeffer grew, the need for a suitable meeting place was recognised. The Countess of Cromartie commissioned a local architect to design a building based on the casino at Baden Baden, which in turn was based on the Festspielhaus at Bayreuth. The resulting building was a grand Victorian Pavilion within a pleasure garden next to the Upper Pump Room. The total cost of the Pavilion was just over £2,700 and it was opened by the Countess of Sutherland on 10 August 1881.<br /> <br /> During World War I the Pavilion was used as an American naval hospital. The popularity of Strathpeffer declined between the two world wars and the Pavilion gradually fell out of use. It was recently restored by the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust and is now managed by the Strathpeffer Pavilion Association as a venue for concerts, weddings, conferences and exhibitions. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.