Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Architectural Audit of Inverness: 1-7 High Street, North Side
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ARCHITECTURALAUDIT_026
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2001
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Gordon University
SOURCE
Inverness Civic Trust
ASSET ID
21763
KEYWORDS
buildings
plans
streets
streetscapes
Architectural Audit of Inverness: 1-7 High Street, North Side

Geddes' Building was built in 1812 when the street junction with Church Street was widened. It was known as the Athenaeum because it was a literary institute between 1815 and 1923. Biblical texts are inscribed on the Ashlar stonework on each side of the central window at the first floor meeting hall level.

This building was a restaurant for a long time, though at the time of writing (2010) it is unoccupied. In a time when paper and printing were expensive, this building gave people access to newspapers and periodicals.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Architectural Audit of Inverness: 1-7 High Street, North Side

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

buildings; plans; streets; streetscapes

Inverness Civic Trust

Inverness Civic Trust: Architectural Audit

Geddes' Building was built in 1812 when the street junction with Church Street was widened. It was known as the Athenaeum because it was a literary institute between 1815 and 1923. Biblical texts are inscribed on the Ashlar stonework on each side of the central window at the first floor meeting hall level.<br /> <br /> This building was a restaurant for a long time, though at the time of writing (2010) it is unoccupied. In a time when paper and printing were expensive, this building gave people access to newspapers and periodicals.