Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Architectural Audit of Inverness: Bank of Scotland Building, 9-11 High Street, North Side
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ARCHITECTURALAUDIT_027
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2001
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Gordon University
SOURCE
Inverness Civic Trust
ASSET ID
21764
KEYWORDS
Prince Albert
Victorian
wedding
Prince Albert
decoration
decorations
art
relief
reliefs
frieze
friezes
pillar
pillars
buildings
plans
streets
streetscapes
Architectural Audit of Inverness: Bank of Scotland Building, 9-11 High Street, North Side

Built by Mackenzie & Matthews in 1847, this classical building has Corinthian columns and overhanging pediment. The tympanum has allegorical figures carved by H Hardyside and huge vases have garlanded portraits of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort. This building served as the Head Office of the Caledonian Bank (founded 1838) until 1907. At the time of writing (2012) it is a branch of the Smith & Jones chain of bars.

A tympanum is a decorated area above the entrance to a building. Mackenzie & Matthews also designed the Station Hotel. The tympanum was carved by A Handyside Ritchie (who also sculpted Hugh Miller's statue in Cromarty). Due to Inverness's role as a trading port and as the major habitation of Northern Scotland, the figures represent the riches of land and sea.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Architectural Audit of Inverness: Bank of Scotland Building, 9-11 High Street, North Side

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

Prince Albert; Victorian; wedding; Prince Albert; decoration; decorations; art; relief; reliefs; frieze; friezes; pillar; pillars; buildings; plans; streets; streetscapes

Inverness Civic Trust

Inverness Civic Trust: Architectural Audit

Built by Mackenzie & Matthews in 1847, this classical building has Corinthian columns and overhanging pediment. The tympanum has allegorical figures carved by H Hardyside and huge vases have garlanded portraits of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort. This building served as the Head Office of the Caledonian Bank (founded 1838) until 1907. At the time of writing (2012) it is a branch of the Smith & Jones chain of bars.<br /> <br /> A tympanum is a decorated area above the entrance to a building. Mackenzie & Matthews also designed the Station Hotel. The tympanum was carved by A Handyside Ritchie (who also sculpted Hugh Miller's statue in Cromarty). Due to Inverness's role as a trading port and as the major habitation of Northern Scotland, the figures represent the riches of land and sea.