Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Architectural Audit of Inverness: 17-23 High Street, North Side
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ARCHITECTURALAUDIT_029
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2001
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Gordon University
SOURCE
Inverness Civic Trust
ASSET ID
21766
KEYWORDS
buildings
plans
streets
streetscapes
Architectural Audit of Inverness: 17-23 High Street, North Side

No 17-19 High Street date from about 1845. This building has classical ashlar façade topped by eaves balustrading. No 21-23 is a Flemish Baronial block by Matthews & Lawrie. Built as the 'Royal Tartan Warehouse', the central gable has carvings of the Royal Arms on it. A wide pend leads throughout the building to Lombard Street (formerly Cummings Close). The east side, also by Matthews & Lawrie, stretches to Baron Taylor's Street and has a panel incorporating an old dormer pediment inscribed 'W.C. 1680' and 'Rebuilt 1792', and 'air a Togail a Ris (Gaelic for "Built Again") 1879' underneath.

Matthews & Lawrie also designed the Town House opposite this building, which is also in Flemish Baronial style. A crest of the Lion and Unicorn (the British royal coat of arms) is situated under the central gable. At the time of writing (2010) the ground floor is occupied by retailers including Lush, Symingtons and the opticians Doland & Aitcheson.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Architectural Audit of Inverness: 17-23 High Street, North Side

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

buildings; plans; streets; streetscapes

Inverness Civic Trust

Inverness Civic Trust: Architectural Audit

No 17-19 High Street date from about 1845. This building has classical ashlar façade topped by eaves balustrading. No 21-23 is a Flemish Baronial block by Matthews & Lawrie. Built as the 'Royal Tartan Warehouse', the central gable has carvings of the Royal Arms on it. A wide pend leads throughout the building to Lombard Street (formerly Cummings Close). The east side, also by Matthews & Lawrie, stretches to Baron Taylor's Street and has a panel incorporating an old dormer pediment inscribed 'W.C. 1680' and 'Rebuilt 1792', and 'air a Togail a Ris (Gaelic for "Built Again") 1879' underneath. <br /> <br /> Matthews & Lawrie also designed the Town House opposite this building, which is also in Flemish Baronial style. A crest of the Lion and Unicorn (the British royal coat of arms) is situated under the central gable. At the time of writing (2010) the ground floor is occupied by retailers including Lush, Symingtons and the opticians Doland & Aitcheson.