Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Architectural Audit of Inverness: Inverness Public Library
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ARCHITECTURALAUDIT_038
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2001
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Gordon University
SOURCE
Inverness Civic Trust
ASSET ID
21775
KEYWORDS
libraries
public buildings
teaching
academic
buildings
plans
streets
streetscapes
Architectural Audit of Inverness: Inverness Public Library

Located at Farraline Park at the top of Margaret Street, the Public Library was designed by William Robertson in 1839-41. Greek Revival in style with central pedimented portico and the Empire garlands on the Frieze. It was originally Dr. Bell's School, one of several in Scottish Burghs built in terms of the will of Dr Andrew Bell. He devised the Madras System of Education where the Master taught the brightest pupils. They in turn taught the less bright pupils who in turn taught the next less bright and so the teaching was passed in turn to the least bright. In 1840, workmen on the building works dug up nine skeletons at a depth of 60 cm. It is thought that they may have been killed when an attack was made on the town's old palisade. The building ceased to be a school in 1937. It was converted in 1980 to be the Public Library. Behind the building was the Inverness Reformatory or 'Ragged School' by Alexander Ross (1858), demolished in the 1950s. The Secession Church stood on the south side of Margaret Street until St Mar's was built on Huntly Street in 1839.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Architectural Audit of Inverness: Inverness Public Library

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

libraries; public buildings; teaching; academic; buildings; plans; streets; streetscapes

Inverness Civic Trust

Inverness Civic Trust: Architectural Audit

Located at Farraline Park at the top of Margaret Street, the Public Library was designed by William Robertson in 1839-41. Greek Revival in style with central pedimented portico and the Empire garlands on the Frieze. It was originally Dr. Bell's School, one of several in Scottish Burghs built in terms of the will of Dr Andrew Bell. He devised the Madras System of Education where the Master taught the brightest pupils. They in turn taught the less bright pupils who in turn taught the next less bright and so the teaching was passed in turn to the least bright. In 1840, workmen on the building works dug up nine skeletons at a depth of 60 cm. It is thought that they may have been killed when an attack was made on the town's old palisade. The building ceased to be a school in 1937. It was converted in 1980 to be the Public Library. Behind the building was the Inverness Reformatory or 'Ragged School' by Alexander Ross (1858), demolished in the 1950s. The Secession Church stood on the south side of Margaret Street until St Mar's was built on Huntly Street in 1839.