Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Prince of Wales Freedom of Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ATKINSON_047
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
26 June 1931
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
21823
KEYWORDS
royalty
royal visits
bridges
Prince of Wales Freedom of Inverness

A photograph of the HRH Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, crossing the Infirmary Bridge, during the ceremony, on 26 June 1931, following his acceptance of the Freedom of the Royal Burgh of Inverness.

Prince Edward flew by light aircraft from Edinburgh to Beaufort, and then drove to Inverness by car with Lord Lovat. After visiting the Lord Roberts Workshops for disabled servicemen, he inspected 400 members of the British Legion and ex-servicemen in the Farraline Park, and then opened the Lady Maud Lawson Memorial Hall in Bank Street.

The Freedom ceremony took place in the Playhouse Cinema in Academy Street, and the Prince was welcomed by a Guard of Honour furnished by the 4th/5th and 6th Territorial Battalions of the Seaforth Highlanders, of whom the Prince of Wales was Colonel in Chief. The Guard was composed of Ross-shire men on the right, Sutherland and Caithness men in the centre, and Morayshire men on the left.

The photograph shows the Prince inspecting the Guard escorted by Captain SK Fraser MC, with Lieutenant JG MacDonald in the foreground. After the ceremony the new Freeman of Inverness was entertained to luncheon by Provost MacEwen and the Town Council in the Town Hall.

In the afternoon the Prince of Wales laid a wreath at the War Memorial in Cavell Gardens, and then walked across the suspension bridge to the Royal Northern Infirmary to open the new radiology department. The Prince then went on to visit the Regimental Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders at Fort George, where the staff and recruits were drawn up for his inspection. He ended a busy day with a round of golf at Nairn.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Prince of Wales Freedom of Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

royalty; royal visits; bridges

Highland Libraries

Syd Atkinson Archive

A photograph of the HRH Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, crossing the Infirmary Bridge, during the ceremony, on 26 June 1931, following his acceptance of the Freedom of the Royal Burgh of Inverness. <br /> <br /> Prince Edward flew by light aircraft from Edinburgh to Beaufort, and then drove to Inverness by car with Lord Lovat. After visiting the Lord Roberts Workshops for disabled servicemen, he inspected 400 members of the British Legion and ex-servicemen in the Farraline Park, and then opened the Lady Maud Lawson Memorial Hall in Bank Street. <br /> <br /> The Freedom ceremony took place in the Playhouse Cinema in Academy Street, and the Prince was welcomed by a Guard of Honour furnished by the 4th/5th and 6th Territorial Battalions of the Seaforth Highlanders, of whom the Prince of Wales was Colonel in Chief. The Guard was composed of Ross-shire men on the right, Sutherland and Caithness men in the centre, and Morayshire men on the left. <br /> <br /> The photograph shows the Prince inspecting the Guard escorted by Captain SK Fraser MC, with Lieutenant JG MacDonald in the foreground. After the ceremony the new Freeman of Inverness was entertained to luncheon by Provost MacEwen and the Town Council in the Town Hall. <br /> <br /> In the afternoon the Prince of Wales laid a wreath at the War Memorial in Cavell Gardens, and then walked across the suspension bridge to the Royal Northern Infirmary to open the new radiology department. The Prince then went on to visit the Regimental Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders at Fort George, where the staff and recruits were drawn up for his inspection. He ended a busy day with a round of golf at Nairn.<br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).