Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Jubilee, Isle of Lewis
EXTERNAL ID
PC_BRANLEY_JUBILEE_2
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Uig
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Stephen Branley
SOURCE
Stephen Branley
ASSET ID
21981
KEYWORDS
boats
fishing boats
The Jubilee, Isle of Lewis

This is the last surviving Sgoth Niseach (Ness Boat) to have played an active part in the line-fishing industry of the Isle of Lewis. This fine 27' (8.2m) clinker boat is the 'Jubilee'.

An open boat with one large sail, it was developed and built in 1935 by John F. MacLeod, a local boat-builder from Port of Ness. It's the only surviving boat because they were worked to death by hard fishing and, because there were no suitable harbours, being rammed up the beach after every fishing trip.

In 1978 the vessel, though in a state of disrepair, was purchased on behalf of the community of Ness. John M. Macleod, the son of the original builder, was engaged to undertake the restorative work and in 1980 the boat was proudly launched from the harbour at Port of Ness. It undertook a further costly restoration in time for its 70th anniversary and was re-launched in July 2005 in time to take its place in the annual Sail Hebrides Festival.

The Jubilee is now owned by the Ness Historical Society and thanks to Amanda Darling for the information.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Jubilee, Isle of Lewis

ROSS: Uig

2000s

boats; fishing boats

Stephen Branley

Isle of Lewis photographs by Stephen Branley

This is the last surviving Sgoth Niseach (Ness Boat) to have played an active part in the line-fishing industry of the Isle of Lewis. This fine 27' (8.2m) clinker boat is the 'Jubilee'.<br /> <br /> An open boat with one large sail, it was developed and built in 1935 by John F. MacLeod, a local boat-builder from Port of Ness. It's the only surviving boat because they were worked to death by hard fishing and, because there were no suitable harbours, being rammed up the beach after every fishing trip.<br /> <br /> In 1978 the vessel, though in a state of disrepair, was purchased on behalf of the community of Ness. John M. Macleod, the son of the original builder, was engaged to undertake the restorative work and in 1980 the boat was proudly launched from the harbour at Port of Ness. It undertook a further costly restoration in time for its 70th anniversary and was re-launched in July 2005 in time to take its place in the annual Sail Hebrides Festival.<br /> <br /> The Jubilee is now owned by the Ness Historical Society and thanks to Amanda Darling for the information.