Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'The Bungalow', Corpach
EXTERNAL ID
PC_BURT_003
PLACENAME
Corpach
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
1939
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Colin Burt
ASSET ID
22000
KEYWORDS
Second World War
evacuation
evacuees
houses
bungalows
World War II
'The Bungalow', Corpach

This photograph was taken in 1939 and shows a house in the vicinity of Corpach , near Fort William. The building was known as 'The Bungalow'.

In the 1890s the house was owned by Gilbert Wilkes. He grew up at Chadwick Manor, Temple Balsall (near Solihull). His family had made its fortune from copper rolling in Birmingham. Amongst other things these mills produced the wire for the Atlantic cable projects of 1857-8 and 1863. In 1894 Gilbert married Elsy Fiddes Menzies who was a niece of the owner of the Lochiel Arms Hotel, Banavie and a descendant of Menzies of Shian.

At the outbreak of World War II, it was home to two elderly ladies and in October 1939 Mr Colin Burt, then aged 7, and his mother were evacuated from their home in London and came to stay with their elderly relatives at 'The Bungalow'. While living in the Highlands, he attended school at Fort William.

In 1940, Colin and his mother rejoined his father at their home in London. Colin now lives in Australia and kindly sent his story and photographs to the team at Am Baile, giving his permission for them to be published on the website.

[thanks to Colin Burt and Andrew Rose for much of this information]

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'The Bungalow', Corpach

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1930s

Second World War; evacuation; evacuees; houses; bungalows; World War II

Colin Burt

This photograph was taken in 1939 and shows a house in the vicinity of Corpach , near Fort William. The building was known as 'The Bungalow'.<br /> <br /> In the 1890s the house was owned by Gilbert Wilkes. He grew up at Chadwick Manor, Temple Balsall (near Solihull). His family had made its fortune from copper rolling in Birmingham. Amongst other things these mills produced the wire for the Atlantic cable projects of 1857-8 and 1863. In 1894 Gilbert married Elsy Fiddes Menzies who was a niece of the owner of the Lochiel Arms Hotel, Banavie and a descendant of Menzies of Shian.<br /> <br /> At the outbreak of World War II, it was home to two elderly ladies and in October 1939 Mr Colin Burt, then aged 7, and his mother were evacuated from their home in London and came to stay with their elderly relatives at 'The Bungalow'. While living in the Highlands, he attended school at Fort William. <br /> <br /> In 1940, Colin and his mother rejoined his father at their home in London. Colin now lives in Australia and kindly sent his story and photographs to the team at Am Baile, giving his permission for them to be published on the website. <br /> <br /> [thanks to Colin Burt and Andrew Rose for much of this information]