Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Clach-na-cudhin Stone, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_SINCLAIR_REVHENDERSON_25
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Reverend Derek Henderson
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
2207
KEYWORDS
slide shows
photographer
photographers
crosses
Clachnacuddin
audio

Get Adobe Flash player

Joseph Cook was a popular Inverness speaker who collected photographs on many subjects to illustrate his talks. In this audio extract, taken from a recorded slide show, the Reverend Derek Henderson of Inverness discusses one of Mr. Cook's images.

'Well, the Mercat Cross used to stand out in the middle of High Street between Castle Street and Eastgate. It was there for a long time until in 1768 it was moved to the front of the town house. Now, a wee bit further along here, opposite really the Castle Wynd and the top of Bridge Street, there was another stone; it was the Clach-na-cudhin. Clach-na-cudhin means the 'stone of the tubs' and Clach-na-cudhin was where the ladies, who had done the washing down in the river, took their baskets and laid them there for a wee breather on the way up and also to have a claik, no doubt. Well, it was moved in 1792, over to join the Mercat Cross. But, it was so popular with emigrants who wanted lucky talismen, that they were chipping chunks off it to take with them for good luck when they went abroad. An indication of how many went abroad is that they sank the stone into the Mercat Cross and in 1900 they covered it with asphalt as it is today'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Clach-na-cudhin Stone, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1980s

slide shows; photographer; photographers; crosses; Clachnacuddin; audio

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Bill Sinclair Audio: Rev. Henderson on Joseph Cook

Joseph Cook was a popular Inverness speaker who collected photographs on many subjects to illustrate his talks. In this audio extract, taken from a recorded slide show, the Reverend Derek Henderson of Inverness discusses one of Mr. Cook's images.<br /> <br /> 'Well, the Mercat Cross used to stand out in the middle of High Street between Castle Street and Eastgate. It was there for a long time until in 1768 it was moved to the front of the town house. Now, a wee bit further along here, opposite really the Castle Wynd and the top of Bridge Street, there was another stone; it was the Clach-na-cudhin. Clach-na-cudhin means the 'stone of the tubs' and Clach-na-cudhin was where the ladies, who had done the washing down in the river, took their baskets and laid them there for a wee breather on the way up and also to have a claik, no doubt. Well, it was moved in 1792, over to join the Mercat Cross. But, it was so popular with emigrants who wanted lucky talismen, that they were chipping chunks off it to take with them for good luck when they went abroad. An indication of how many went abroad is that they sank the stone into the Mercat Cross and in 1900 they covered it with asphalt as it is today'