Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Royal Brackla Distillery
EXTERNAL ID
PC_CAWDOR_05
PLACENAME
Cawdor
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
SOURCE
Cawdor Heritage Group
ASSET ID
22081
KEYWORDS
aerial views
aerial photograph
aerial photographs
distilleries
castles
brewhouses
royal warrants
smugglers
distillers
burns
whisky stills
whisky production
malt whiskies
Royal Brackla Distillery

This is an aerial view of Royal Brackla Distillery, in the vicinity of Cawdor Castle. The Brackla distillery was established in 1812 by Captain William Fraser of nearby Brackla House on the site of an 18th century brewhouse. It was the first distillery to be awarded a royal warrant, firstly by King William IV in 1835 and later by Queen Victoria in 1838.

In the early years, the distillery benefited local farmers who could sell their barley at home instead of having to pay to transport it further afield. However, Captain Fraser had to compete with operators of illicit stills who paid no duty. Smuggling was widely practised at that time in rural Nairnshire.

The distillery was extended during the 1970s but closed in 1985. In the 1990s it was taken over by John Dewar & Sons for Bacardi and resumed production. The water used for distilling is drawn, as it always has been, from the Cawdor Burn and four stills are now in use. Although Royal Brackla is a single malt whisky in its own right, most of the distillery's present-day output goes into whisky blends.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Royal Brackla Distillery

NAIRN: Cawdor

aerial views; aerial photograph; aerial photographs; distilleries; castles; brewhouses; royal warrants; smugglers; distillers; burns; whisky stills; whisky production; malt whiskies

Cawdor Heritage Group

Cawdor Heritage Group

This is an aerial view of Royal Brackla Distillery, in the vicinity of Cawdor Castle. The Brackla distillery was established in 1812 by Captain William Fraser of nearby Brackla House on the site of an 18th century brewhouse. It was the first distillery to be awarded a royal warrant, firstly by King William IV in 1835 and later by Queen Victoria in 1838. <br /> <br /> In the early years, the distillery benefited local farmers who could sell their barley at home instead of having to pay to transport it further afield. However, Captain Fraser had to compete with operators of illicit stills who paid no duty. Smuggling was widely practised at that time in rural Nairnshire. <br /> <br /> The distillery was extended during the 1970s but closed in 1985. In the 1990s it was taken over by John Dewar & Sons for Bacardi and resumed production. The water used for distilling is drawn, as it always has been, from the Cawdor Burn and four stills are now in use. Although Royal Brackla is a single malt whisky in its own right, most of the distillery's present-day output goes into whisky blends.