Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cawdor Castle Gardens
EXTERNAL ID
PC_CAWDOR_07B
PLACENAME
Cawdor
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
DATE OF IMAGE
1905
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Cawdor Heritage Group
ASSET ID
22084
KEYWORDS
castles
park
parklands
woods
walled gardens
kitchen gardens
mazes
herbaceous plants
flower gardens
wild gardens
wild flowers
tower houses
Jacobites
visitor attractions
tourism
Cawdor Castle Gardens

This picture of Cawdor Castle Flower Garden was painted by G Elgood in 1905.The castle has extensive wooded parkland and three gardens. The Walled Garden was created in the early 17th century for the cultivation of flowers, fruit and vegetables. It later became a kitchen garden and now includes a holly maze. The Flower Garden, pictured here, was laid out about 100 years later and is famed for its herbaceous borders. The Wild Garden was planted in the 1960s and lies between the Castle and Cawdor Burn.

According to Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', Cawdor Castle was the scene of King Duncan's death, but Macbeth died in 1052, several centuries before the present castle was built. In 1454 Thane William of Calder received a royal licence to build a castle at Cawdor. He built a simple four-storey tower house, which was later restyled with roof turrets.

The original family name was Calder but in 1510 Muriel Calder was forced to marry Sir John Campbell and the lands and title passed to the Campbell clan. In the late 17th century Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor made some major alterations and additions to the castle, not long before he and his family had to leave Cawdor because of their Jacobite sympathies. When they returned they began work on the restoration and conservation of the castle. Cawdor Castle is still home to the Cawdor family as well as being a significant visitor attraction.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cawdor Castle Gardens

NAIRN: Cawdor

1900s

castles; park; parklands; woods; walled gardens; kitchen gardens; mazes; herbaceous plants; flower gardens; wild gardens; wild flowers; tower houses; Jacobites; visitor attractions; tourism

Cawdor Heritage Group

Cawdor Heritage Group

This picture of Cawdor Castle Flower Garden was painted by G Elgood in 1905.The castle has extensive wooded parkland and three gardens. The Walled Garden was created in the early 17th century for the cultivation of flowers, fruit and vegetables. It later became a kitchen garden and now includes a holly maze. The Flower Garden, pictured here, was laid out about 100 years later and is famed for its herbaceous borders. The Wild Garden was planted in the 1960s and lies between the Castle and Cawdor Burn.<br /> <br /> According to Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', Cawdor Castle was the scene of King Duncan's death, but Macbeth died in 1052, several centuries before the present castle was built. In 1454 Thane William of Calder received a royal licence to build a castle at Cawdor. He built a simple four-storey tower house, which was later restyled with roof turrets. <br /> <br /> The original family name was Calder but in 1510 Muriel Calder was forced to marry Sir John Campbell and the lands and title passed to the Campbell clan. In the late 17th century Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor made some major alterations and additions to the castle, not long before he and his family had to leave Cawdor because of their Jacobite sympathies. When they returned they began work on the restoration and conservation of the castle. Cawdor Castle is still home to the Cawdor family as well as being a significant visitor attraction.