Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Leyland Training Bus
EXTERNAL ID
PC_CCC_006
PLACENAME
unidentified
DATE OF IMAGE
1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Croy Community Council
ASSET ID
22114
KEYWORDS
buses
vehicles
transport
public transport
Leyland Training Bus

This training bus was based in Elgin and was driven by a Mr Eddie Shaw. Mr Shaw later went on to run a public service vehicle between Nairn and Cawdor.

The vehicle was built as a single decker by the Falkirk-based company, W. Alexander and Sons. In 1943 it was converted to a double decker and around four years later it was transferred from the Stirling area to Inverness.

Numbered R425 with Alexander's, it took the fleet number J158 when transferred to the newly-formed Highland Omnibuses in May, 1952. It was withdrawn by Highland in 1959. The chassis had a remarkably long life, the vehicle not being scrapped until 1976.

This photograph was submitted to Croy Community Council by George Service of Westhill, Inverness. Many thanks to Philip Wylie for much of the information.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Leyland Training Bus

1960s

buses; vehicles; transport; public transport

Croy Community Council

This training bus was based in Elgin and was driven by a Mr Eddie Shaw. Mr Shaw later went on to run a public service vehicle between Nairn and Cawdor.<br /> <br /> The vehicle was built as a single decker by the Falkirk-based company, W. Alexander and Sons. In 1943 it was converted to a double decker and around four years later it was transferred from the Stirling area to Inverness. <br /> <br /> Numbered R425 with Alexander's, it took the fleet number J158 when transferred to the newly-formed Highland Omnibuses in May, 1952. It was withdrawn by Highland in 1959. The chassis had a remarkably long life, the vehicle not being scrapped until 1976. <br /> <br /> This photograph was submitted to Croy Community Council by George Service of Westhill, Inverness. Many thanks to Philip Wylie for much of the information.