Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Railway Viaduct, Culloden Moor
EXTERNAL ID
PC_CCC_012
PLACENAME
Culloden Moor
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Croy Community Council
ASSET ID
22119
KEYWORDS
railways
transport
bridges
viaducts
trains
Railway Viaduct, Culloden Moor

This photograph was taken prior to the viaduct becoming operational in 1898. The Culloden viaduct, also known as the Nairn viaduct or the Clava viaduct, stands about 6 miles east of Inverness above the valley of the River Nairn. The viaduct was built by Sir John Fowler and Murdoch Paterson between 1893 and 1898. At 1800ft it is the longest viaduct in Scotland and has 28 spans all 50ft wide apart from the span crossing the river which is 100ft wide. The stone used to build the viaduct came from the Leanach Quarry.

Also seen in the photograph are a miniature railway used to bring stone from the quarry to the bridge, scafolding in some of the arches and workers' huts under the bridge.

This photograph was lent to Croy Community Council by Fraser Johnstone

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Railway Viaduct, Culloden Moor

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s

railways; transport; bridges; viaducts; trains

Croy Community Council

This photograph was taken prior to the viaduct becoming operational in 1898. The Culloden viaduct, also known as the Nairn viaduct or the Clava viaduct, stands about 6 miles east of Inverness above the valley of the River Nairn. The viaduct was built by Sir John Fowler and Murdoch Paterson between 1893 and 1898. At 1800ft it is the longest viaduct in Scotland and has 28 spans all 50ft wide apart from the span crossing the river which is 100ft wide. The stone used to build the viaduct came from the Leanach Quarry.<br /> <br /> Also seen in the photograph are a miniature railway used to bring stone from the quarry to the bridge, scafolding in some of the arches and workers' huts under the bridge.<br /> <br /> This photograph was lent to Croy Community Council by Fraser Johnstone