Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Citadel Football Club - mid-1920s team photograph
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DMACKINTOSH_004
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Duncan MacKintosh
ASSET ID
22304
KEYWORDS
Citadel FC
Inverness
football
Shore Street Park
Highland League
North Caledonian Football League
1975
Citadel Football Club - mid-1920s team photograph

A team photograph, taken in the mid-1920s, of the players and management of Citadel Football Club from Inverness. Based at Shore Street Park in Inverness, Citadel FC was formed in the mid-1880s and was a founding member of the Highland League in 1894. They were Highland League champions only once, in 1909, but won the North Caledonian Football League on five occasions. They stopped participating in the Highland League in 1935, and they ceased to exist just prior to World War II.

We have so far only managed to identify one of the people in this photograph. Second from the right in the back row is Alick Smith, who played as an outside left. He later became a stalwart on the Nairn County committee and from 1951 to 1955 was President of the North of Scotland Football Association.
[Many thanks to Alick's son, Alistair, for this information.]

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Citadel Football Club - mid-1920s team photograph

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

Citadel FC; Inverness; football; Shore Street Park; Highland League; North Caledonian Football League; 1975

Duncan MacKintosh

A team photograph, taken in the mid-1920s, of the players and management of Citadel Football Club from Inverness. Based at Shore Street Park in Inverness, Citadel FC was formed in the mid-1880s and was a founding member of the Highland League in 1894. They were Highland League champions only once, in 1909, but won the North Caledonian Football League on five occasions. They stopped participating in the Highland League in 1935, and they ceased to exist just prior to World War II.<br /> <br /> We have so far only managed to identify one of the people in this photograph. Second from the right in the back row is Alick Smith, who played as an outside left. He later became a stalwart on the Nairn County committee and from 1951 to 1955 was President of the North of Scotland Football Association. <br /> [Many thanks to Alick's son, Alistair, for this information.]