Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Avoch Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_AVOCHHARBOUR
PLACENAME
Avoch
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Avoch
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22314
KEYWORDS
villages
harbours
explorers
Avoch Harbour

The fishing village of Avoch is located on the northern coast of the Moray Firth on the Black Isle, Easter Ross. Its harbour was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1814 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada was named.

Telford's original harbour was expanded by the Avoch Harbour Trust, which was established by Act of Parliament in August 1903. An outer breakwater was added in 1905-6 and the east breakwater was built in 1912

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Avoch Harbour

ROSS: Avoch

2000s

villages; harbours; explorers

Janine Donald

The fishing village of Avoch is located on the northern coast of the Moray Firth on the Black Isle, Easter Ross. Its harbour was designed by Thomas Telford and built in 1814 by Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the explorer, after whom the Mackenzie River in Canada was named. <br /> <br /> Telford's original harbour was expanded by the Avoch Harbour Trust, which was established by Act of Parliament in August 1903. An outer breakwater was added in 1905-6 and the east breakwater was built in 1912