Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Priory (Chancel)
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_BEAULYPRIORY02
PLACENAME
Beauly; Beauly Priory
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22317
KEYWORDS
priories
Oliver Cromwell
transepts
burials
Beauly Priory (Chancel)

This photograph shows the chancel windows at Beauly Priory. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation. In the 1650s Cromwell's troops removed some of the stone to build the fort at Inverness. In 1901 the north transept was partly restored as a burial aisle for the Mackenzies of Kintail

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Priory (Chancel)

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

2000s

priories; Oliver Cromwell; transepts; burials

Janine Donald

This photograph shows the chancel windows at Beauly Priory. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation. In the 1650s Cromwell's troops removed some of the stone to build the fort at Inverness. In 1901 the north transept was partly restored as a burial aisle for the Mackenzies of Kintail