Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Craig, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_CASTLECRAIG01
PLACENAME
Castle Craig
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22331
KEYWORDS
castles
Castle Craig, Black Isle

Craig Castle sits on a rocky outcrop on the northern shores of the Black Isle. It dates from the 16th century and was probably built for the Urquharts of Cromarty, holders of the hereditary sheriffdom of Cromarty. The four-storey tower is protected on three sides by steep drops down to the Cromarty Firth.

After the Reformation the castle was associated with the Bishops of Ross who may have used it as a summer residence. The building eventually became part of the Newhall Estate. In 1959 it was gifted to a descendent of the Urquhart family

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Craig, Black Isle

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

castles

Janine Donald

Craig Castle sits on a rocky outcrop on the northern shores of the Black Isle. It dates from the 16th century and was probably built for the Urquharts of Cromarty, holders of the hereditary sheriffdom of Cromarty. The four-storey tower is protected on three sides by steep drops down to the Cromarty Firth. <br /> <br /> After the Reformation the castle was associated with the Bishops of Ross who may have used it as a summer residence. The building eventually became part of the Newhall Estate. In 1959 it was gifted to a descendent of the Urquhart family