Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gaelic Chapel, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_CROMARTY01
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22341
KEYWORDS
chapels
religion
Gaelic Chapel, Cromarty

The Gaelic Chapel in Cromarty was built by the local laird, George Ross, in 1784. Today it is just a ruin but originally it provided a place of worship for the Gaelic-speaking families who had moved into Cromarty due to the town's prosperity at that time. George Ross acquired the Cromarty Estate in 1767 and within twenty years had built a hemp and rope factory, a brewery, the courthouse, and a new Georgian mansion - Cromarty House. Ross was able to build upon the trade and harbour improvements carried out previously by local merchant William Forsyth (1722-1800)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gaelic Chapel, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

chapels; religion

Janine Donald

The Gaelic Chapel in Cromarty was built by the local laird, George Ross, in 1784. Today it is just a ruin but originally it provided a place of worship for the Gaelic-speaking families who had moved into Cromarty due to the town's prosperity at that time. George Ross acquired the Cromarty Estate in 1767 and within twenty years had built a hemp and rope factory, a brewery, the courthouse, and a new Georgian mansion - Cromarty House. Ross was able to build upon the trade and harbour improvements carried out previously by local merchant William Forsyth (1722-1800)