Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Initials, North Loft, Cromarty East Church
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_CROMARTY09
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22350
KEYWORDS
churches
Initials, North Loft, Cromarty East Church

The East Church, or old Parish Church, at Cromarty dates mainly from the 18th century although it incorporates part of an earlier medieval structure, including an aumbry (a recessed cupboard for storing the cup and plate used in the celebration of mass) at the east end of the north wall. There is also a 14th-century grave slab in the west porch.

The original church was rectangular in shape but a new north aisle was added in 1739 due to increased attendance. In 1756 the church walls were heightened and new windows inserted. The church has three upper galleries or 'lofts'; the Scholars' Loft; the Poors' Loft; and the Laird's Loft. In the north wing loft there is an example of a decorated pew, rented by the Mackenzie family. On the front of the same gallery are the carved initials of other parishioners who rented pews.

The church is owned by the 'Scottish Redundant Churches Trust' and featured on the BBC's 'Restoration Village' programme in 2006. Heritage Lottery Funds have recently been secured for restoration work on the church

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Initials, North Loft, Cromarty East Church

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

churches

Janine Donald

The East Church, or old Parish Church, at Cromarty dates mainly from the 18th century although it incorporates part of an earlier medieval structure, including an aumbry (a recessed cupboard for storing the cup and plate used in the celebration of mass) at the east end of the north wall. There is also a 14th-century grave slab in the west porch. <br /> <br /> The original church was rectangular in shape but a new north aisle was added in 1739 due to increased attendance. In 1756 the church walls were heightened and new windows inserted. The church has three upper galleries or 'lofts'; the Scholars' Loft; the Poors' Loft; and the Laird's Loft. In the north wing loft there is an example of a decorated pew, rented by the Mackenzie family. On the front of the same gallery are the carved initials of other parishioners who rented pews.<br /> <br /> The church is owned by the 'Scottish Redundant Churches Trust' and featured on the BBC's 'Restoration Village' programme in 2006. Heritage Lottery Funds have recently been secured for restoration work on the church