Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Brewery, Cromarty
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_CROMARTY14
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22355
KEYWORDS
breweries
Old Brewery, Cromarty

The Old Brewery is situated close to a burn at the east end of Cromarty, on the corner of Miller Road and Burnside Place. It was established around 1790 by local landowner George Ross and was substantial in comparison with Scottish rural breweries of that time. The OS map of 1871 shows the building to be disused and it is unclear whether it came back into use as a brewery. It has been suggested that a plaque above the door on the northwest side, bearing the inscription 'Thanks Be to God, 1901', was put there by a temperance society upon the closure of the brewery.

Since its closure, the brewery building has been used both as a dwelling and for farming mushrooms. Today, the building has been fully restored and now operates as a training centre providing facilities for training, meetings and events, with catering services and residential accommodation

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Brewery, Cromarty

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

breweries

Janine Donald

The Old Brewery is situated close to a burn at the east end of Cromarty, on the corner of Miller Road and Burnside Place. It was established around 1790 by local landowner George Ross and was substantial in comparison with Scottish rural breweries of that time. The OS map of 1871 shows the building to be disused and it is unclear whether it came back into use as a brewery. It has been suggested that a plaque above the door on the northwest side, bearing the inscription 'Thanks Be to God, 1901', was put there by a temperance society upon the closure of the brewery.<br /> <br /> Since its closure, the brewery building has been used both as a dwelling and for farming mushrooms. Today, the building has been fully restored and now operates as a training centre providing facilities for training, meetings and events, with catering services and residential accommodation