Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kessock Hotel, North Kessock
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_KESSOCK
PLACENAME
North Kessock
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Knockbain
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22380
KEYWORDS
hotels
villages
Kessock Hotel, North Kessock

The Kessock Hotel is situated on Main Street in North Kessock. The building is Georgian in style and was reconstructed in the late nineteenth century. Previously an inn, the building acted as host to passengers using the Kessock Ferry, an ancient water route between Inverness and the Black Isle.

The village of North Kessock was developed during the early part of the nineteenth century on land owned by Sir William Fettes. Fettes was responsible for the modernisation of the Kessock Ferry, building piers at both North Kessock and South Kessock. The Ferry was privately run until 1939, when the Inverness and Ross local authorities took over the responsibility. In 1982 the Kessock Bridge was built and the ferry service ended

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kessock Hotel, North Kessock

ROSS: Knockbain

2000s

hotels; villages

Janine Donald

The Kessock Hotel is situated on Main Street in North Kessock. The building is Georgian in style and was reconstructed in the late nineteenth century. Previously an inn, the building acted as host to passengers using the Kessock Ferry, an ancient water route between Inverness and the Black Isle.<br /> <br /> The village of North Kessock was developed during the early part of the nineteenth century on land owned by Sir William Fettes. Fettes was responsible for the modernisation of the Kessock Ferry, building piers at both North Kessock and South Kessock. The Ferry was privately run until 1939, when the Inverness and Ross local authorities took over the responsibility. In 1982 the Kessock Bridge was built and the ferry service ended