Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Earls' Palace, Kirkwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_ORKNEY01
PLACENAME
Kirkwall
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22392
KEYWORDS
Earls of Orkney
palaces
Earls' Palace, Kirkwall

The ruins of the Earl's Palace in Kirkwall lie opposite St Magnus Cathedral in the centre of Kirkwall, Orkney. The palace was begun by Patrick Stewart, second Earl of Orkney, in the early 17th century. It was built in the Renaissance style but the full design was never completed as the earl was convicted of treason and beheaded in 1614. After his death, the Earl's Palace, and nearby Bishop's Palace, continued in use by the bishops of Orkney until 1688 when the buildings became the property of the Crown. By 1705 the palace had fallen into disrepair and was no longer considered to be fit for habitation. By the middle of the 18th century the roof had been stripped and the building has remained roofless ever since. Today it is in the care of Historic Scotland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Earls' Palace, Kirkwall

2000s

Earls of Orkney; palaces

Janine Donald

The ruins of the Earl's Palace in Kirkwall lie opposite St Magnus Cathedral in the centre of Kirkwall, Orkney. The palace was begun by Patrick Stewart, second Earl of Orkney, in the early 17th century. It was built in the Renaissance style but the full design was never completed as the earl was convicted of treason and beheaded in 1614. After his death, the Earl's Palace, and nearby Bishop's Palace, continued in use by the bishops of Orkney until 1688 when the buildings became the property of the Crown. By 1705 the palace had fallen into disrepair and was no longer considered to be fit for habitation. By the middle of the 18th century the roof had been stripped and the building has remained roofless ever since. Today it is in the care of Historic Scotland.