Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_ORKNEY02
PLACENAME
Kirkwall
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22393
KEYWORDS
Earls of Orkney
palaces
Historic Scotland
Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall

The ruins of the Bishop's Palace in Kirkwall lie opposite St Magnus Cathedral in the centre of Kirkwall, Orkney. The palace was built in the mid-12th century for Bishop William the Old, a friend of Earl Rognvald Kolsson, the cathedral's founder. The building was subsequently much altered especially by Bishop Reid (1541-8) who added a round, defensive, tower. A later addition was made by Patrick Stewart, Earl of Orkney, about 1600. After his death, the Bishop's Palace, and nearby Earl's Palace, continued in use by the bishops of Orkney until 1688 when the buildings became the property of the Crown. Today it is in the care of Historic Scotland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bishop's Palace, Kirkwall

2000s

Earls of Orkney; palaces; Historic Scotland

Janine Donald

The ruins of the Bishop's Palace in Kirkwall lie opposite St Magnus Cathedral in the centre of Kirkwall, Orkney. The palace was built in the mid-12th century for Bishop William the Old, a friend of Earl Rognvald Kolsson, the cathedral's founder. The building was subsequently much altered especially by Bishop Reid (1541-8) who added a round, defensive, tower. A later addition was made by Patrick Stewart, Earl of Orkney, about 1600. After his death, the Bishop's Palace, and nearby Earl's Palace, continued in use by the bishops of Orkney until 1688 when the buildings became the property of the Crown. Today it is in the care of Historic Scotland.