Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
House at Skara Brae, Orkney
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_ORKNEY03
PLACENAME
Skara Brae
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22394
KEYWORDS
Stone Age
settlements
excavations
archaeology
House at Skara Brae, Orkney

This photograph shows one of the eight houses contained within the Neolithic settlement at Skara Brae, Orkney. Each house is furnished in a similar manner with central hearth, box-beds, and shelved dressers. The exception is house eight, a freestanding building, which may have been used as a workshop.

Parts of the settlement at Skara Brae were first revealed in 1850, following a violent storm. The local laird, William Watt of Skaill, excavated the remains of four ancient houses but after 1868 work was abandoned. In 1925 another storm damaged some of the previously excavated houses and a strengthening sea wall was built to protect the site. In the course of construction, the remains of more ancient houses were discovered. In the late 1920s and early 30s Professor Gordon Childe undertook further excavations to reveal the dwellings that can be seen today. The village may have been in use for around six hundred years between 3100 and 2500 BC. The visible structures represent the latest phase of rebuilding and occupation.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

House at Skara Brae, Orkney

2000s

Stone Age; settlements; excavations; archaeology

Janine Donald

This photograph shows one of the eight houses contained within the Neolithic settlement at Skara Brae, Orkney. Each house is furnished in a similar manner with central hearth, box-beds, and shelved dressers. The exception is house eight, a freestanding building, which may have been used as a workshop.<br /> <br /> Parts of the settlement at Skara Brae were first revealed in 1850, following a violent storm. The local laird, William Watt of Skaill, excavated the remains of four ancient houses but after 1868 work was abandoned. In 1925 another storm damaged some of the previously excavated houses and a strengthening sea wall was built to protect the site. In the course of construction, the remains of more ancient houses were discovered. In the late 1920s and early 30s Professor Gordon Childe undertook further excavations to reveal the dwellings that can be seen today. The village may have been in use for around six hundred years between 3100 and 2500 BC. The visible structures represent the latest phase of rebuilding and occupation.