Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mill House, Rosemarkie
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_ROSEMARKIE03
PLACENAME
Rosemarkie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22407
KEYWORDS
mills
flour
Mill House, Rosemarkie

This photograph is of 'Mill House', an old meal mill at Rosemarkie, now converted into residential accommodation. There were previously two meal mills in Rosemarkie, the one pictured here which is at the east end of Marine Terrace, and one in Bridge Street.

There is evidence that a Pictish settlement once existed at Rosemarkie during the 8th century. More than 12 Pictish stones were found around the village churchyard and are now housed at the Groam Museum in the village.

The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century, although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement here in the 7th century. In 1125, on the same site as the monastery founded by St. Boniface, the first Cathedral of Ross was built. The village's Parish church, built between 1818 and 1821, now dominates the site. Rosemarkie was granted burgh status in the early 13th century and shared Royal Burgh status with Fortrose from 1455.

During the 18th and 19th centuries Rosemarkie's main industries included linen production and salmon fishing. Today the village has much to offer tourism, including the Groam Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a beautiful secluded beach

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mill House, Rosemarkie

ROSS: Rosemarkie

2000s

mills; flour

Janine Donald

This photograph is of 'Mill House', an old meal mill at Rosemarkie, now converted into residential accommodation. There were previously two meal mills in Rosemarkie, the one pictured here which is at the east end of Marine Terrace, and one in Bridge Street. <br /> <br /> There is evidence that a Pictish settlement once existed at Rosemarkie during the 8th century. More than 12 Pictish stones were found around the village churchyard and are now housed at the Groam Museum in the village. <br /> <br /> The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century, although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement here in the 7th century. In 1125, on the same site as the monastery founded by St. Boniface, the first Cathedral of Ross was built. The village's Parish church, built between 1818 and 1821, now dominates the site. Rosemarkie was granted burgh status in the early 13th century and shared Royal Burgh status with Fortrose from 1455.<br /> <br /> During the 18th and 19th centuries Rosemarkie's main industries included linen production and salmon fishing. Today the village has much to offer tourism, including the Groam Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a beautiful secluded beach