Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Trebuchet, Urquhart Castle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_DONALD_URQUHARTCASTLE04
PLACENAME
Drumnadrochit
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
DATE OF IMAGE
2002
CREATOR
Janine Donald
SOURCE
Janine Donald
ASSET ID
22419
KEYWORDS
siege engines
weapons
trebuchets
Trebuchet, Urquhart Castle

This reconstructed medieval seige engine - known as a trebuchet - stands in the grounds of Urquhart Castle. It featured in the Channel 4 television production 'Secrets of Lost Empires' (2000).

Urquhart Castle sits on a headland to the south of Glen Urquhart Bay, near Drumnadrochit, with extensive views up and down Loch Ness. Although evidence has been found of a fort situated on this site during the Iron Age, earliest written records of a castle existing here date from around 1200. Some of the ruins which exist today originate from a 13th century fortification held by Alan Durward from 1229.This was situated on the highest mound and consisted of a stone-walled citadel.

Except for the citadel, most of the other ruins date from the 14th century, apart from the prominent Tower House which is a 16th-century construction. The castle has been besieged many times throughout its history, and was captured and re-captured by Scots and English during the Independence Wars. It was sacked by The Lord of the Isles in 1513 and the entire area was laid to waste. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was packed with explosives and blown up, so that it could not be used as a Jacobite base.

Between 1912 and 1922, the castle was excavated and repaired. It is now under the control of Historic Scotland

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Trebuchet, Urquhart Castle

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

siege engines; weapons; trebuchets

Janine Donald

This reconstructed medieval seige engine - known as a trebuchet - stands in the grounds of Urquhart Castle. It featured in the Channel 4 television production 'Secrets of Lost Empires' (2000).<br /> <br /> Urquhart Castle sits on a headland to the south of Glen Urquhart Bay, near Drumnadrochit, with extensive views up and down Loch Ness. Although evidence has been found of a fort situated on this site during the Iron Age, earliest written records of a castle existing here date from around 1200. Some of the ruins which exist today originate from a 13th century fortification held by Alan Durward from 1229.This was situated on the highest mound and consisted of a stone-walled citadel. <br /> <br /> Except for the citadel, most of the other ruins date from the 14th century, apart from the prominent Tower House which is a 16th-century construction. The castle has been besieged many times throughout its history, and was captured and re-captured by Scots and English during the Independence Wars. It was sacked by The Lord of the Isles in 1513 and the entire area was laid to waste. At the end of the 17th century, the castle was packed with explosives and blown up, so that it could not be used as a Jacobite base. <br /> <br /> Between 1912 and 1922, the castle was excavated and repaired. It is now under the control of Historic Scotland