Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caledonian Canal: Fort Augustus Locks reconstruction, 1984
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ERNESTCOOK_014
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
22 February 1984
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Ernest Cooke
SOURCE
Ernest Cooke
ASSET ID
22433
KEYWORDS
refurbishment
repairs
construction
Caledonian Canal
canal
Fort Augustus
1984
1803
1822
Thomas Telford
lock
Caledonian Canal: Fort Augustus Locks reconstruction, 1984

A photograph, taken on 22 February 1984, of the reconstructed locks on the Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus.

The Caledonian Canal extends from Corpach, in the Great Glen near Fort William, 100 kilometres north-east to Inverness. Designed by the prolific Scottish engineer Thomas Telford, the canal was built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. Initially intended as trade route, today it is mainly travelled by pleasure crafts.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caledonian Canal: Fort Augustus Locks reconstruction, 1984

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1980s

refurbishment; repairs; construction; Caledonian Canal; canal; Fort Augustus; 1984; 1803; 1822; Thomas Telford; lock

Ernest Cooke

Caledonian Canal Refurbishment, 1984

A photograph, taken on 22 February 1984, of the reconstructed locks on the Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus. <br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal extends from Corpach, in the Great Glen near Fort William, 100 kilometres north-east to Inverness. Designed by the prolific Scottish engineer Thomas Telford, the canal was built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. Initially intended as trade route, today it is mainly travelled by pleasure crafts.