Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caledonian Canal refurbishment at Fort Augustus, 1984
EXTERNAL ID
PC_ERNESTCOOK_022
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1984
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Ernest Cooke
SOURCE
Ernest Cooke
ASSET ID
22437
KEYWORDS
refurbishment
repairs
construction
Caledonian Canal
canal
Fort Augustus
1984
1803
1822
Thomas Telford
locks
Coffer Dam
Morrisons
digger
lock
locks
Caledonian Canal refurbishment at Fort Augustus, 1984

A view down the locks on the Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus, during major refurbishment in January or February 1984. A Morrisons digger can be seen in the foreground, with another in the centre of the photograph

The Caledonian Canal extends from Corpach, in the Great Glen near Fort William, 100 kilometres north-east to Inverness. Designed by the prolific Scottish engineer Thomas Telford, the canal was built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. Initially intended as trade route, today it is mainly travelled by pleasure crafts.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caledonian Canal refurbishment at Fort Augustus, 1984

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1980s

refurbishment; repairs; construction; Caledonian Canal; canal; Fort Augustus; 1984; 1803; 1822; Thomas Telford; locks; Coffer Dam; Morrisons; digger; lock; locks

Ernest Cooke

Caledonian Canal Refurbishment, 1984

A view down the locks on the Caledonian Canal at Fort Augustus, during major refurbishment in January or February 1984. A Morrisons digger can be seen in the foreground, with another in the centre of the photograph<br /> <br /> The Caledonian Canal extends from Corpach, in the Great Glen near Fort William, 100 kilometres north-east to Inverness. Designed by the prolific Scottish engineer Thomas Telford, the canal was built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. Initially intended as trade route, today it is mainly travelled by pleasure crafts.