Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverewe Gardens near Poolewe
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GAUKROGER_003
PLACENAME
Inverewe
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
DATE OF IMAGE
11 August 2006
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Jamie Gaukroger
SOURCE
Jamie Gaukroger
ASSET ID
22461
KEYWORDS
gardens
plants
horticulture
trees
gardening
Inverewe Gardens near Poolewe

This photograph shows Inverewe Gardens, near Poolewe in Ross-shire.

Inverewe Gardens were created in 1862, by the sportsman and laird Osgood Hanbury Mackenzie. He was the son of Sir Francis Mackenzie, laird of Gairloch. With the aid of his family, Osgood acquired the 12,000 acre Inverewe and Kensary estate and established the gardens on the Inverewe peninsula. Despite the peninsula being exposed to the Atlantic and being composed of poor soil, Mackenzie was aware of its proximity to the Gulf Stream and very slowly he succeeded in transforming the barren land into an exotic garden.

Osgood Mackenzie worked on Inverewe Gardens until he died in 1922 and the garden's development passed to his daughter Mrs Mairie Sawyer. The present Inverewe House was built by her second husband in 1935, after the original building was destroyed by fire in 1914. In 1952, one year before Mairie Sawyer's death, she gifted Inverewe Garden and an endowment for its future maintenance to the National Trust for Scotland. Today, Inverewe Gardens attract around 200,000 visitors a year

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverewe Gardens near Poolewe

ROSS: Gairloch

2000s

gardens; plants; horticulture; trees; gardening

Jamie Gaukroger

This photograph shows Inverewe Gardens, near Poolewe in Ross-shire.<br /> <br /> Inverewe Gardens were created in 1862, by the sportsman and laird Osgood Hanbury Mackenzie. He was the son of Sir Francis Mackenzie, laird of Gairloch. With the aid of his family, Osgood acquired the 12,000 acre Inverewe and Kensary estate and established the gardens on the Inverewe peninsula. Despite the peninsula being exposed to the Atlantic and being composed of poor soil, Mackenzie was aware of its proximity to the Gulf Stream and very slowly he succeeded in transforming the barren land into an exotic garden.<br /> <br /> Osgood Mackenzie worked on Inverewe Gardens until he died in 1922 and the garden's development passed to his daughter Mrs Mairie Sawyer. The present Inverewe House was built by her second husband in 1935, after the original building was destroyed by fire in 1914. In 1952, one year before Mairie Sawyer's death, she gifted Inverewe Garden and an endowment for its future maintenance to the National Trust for Scotland. Today, Inverewe Gardens attract around 200,000 visitors a year