Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MV Shearwater at Mallaig
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GAUKROGER_099
PLACENAME
Mallaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
DATE OF IMAGE
1989
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
Jamie Gaukroger
SOURCE
Jamie Gaukroger
ASSET ID
22474
KEYWORDS
ferries
boats
harbours
fishing boats
MV Shearwater at Mallaig

This photograph shows the passenger ferry MV Shearwater approaching one the piers in Mallaig harbour. She had sailed along the coast from Arisaig to meet the Jacobite steam train and take its passengers for a short excursion to the Isle of Skye.

For almost 30 years the MV Etive Shearwater sailed from Arisaig to the Small Isles of Eigg, Muck, Rum and Canna during the summer months. She was owned and operated by Arisaig Marine.

Built in 1941 by the Sussex Shipbuilding Company as a Harbour Defence Motor Launch (ML 1085) her wartime duties included minesweeping. She also took part in the D-Day landings.

From the end of World War II and through the 1950s she was engaged as a Survey Launch before becoming a passenger ferry (originally named 'Pembroke Shearwater'). She was bought by Arisaig Marine Ltd in 1973 and served the communities of the Small Isles until 2002.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MV Shearwater at Mallaig

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1980s

ferries; boats; harbours; fishing boats

Jamie Gaukroger

This photograph shows the passenger ferry MV Shearwater approaching one the piers in Mallaig harbour. She had sailed along the coast from Arisaig to meet the Jacobite steam train and take its passengers for a short excursion to the Isle of Skye.<br /> <br /> For almost 30 years the MV Etive Shearwater sailed from Arisaig to the Small Isles of Eigg, Muck, Rum and Canna during the summer months. She was owned and operated by Arisaig Marine.<br /> <br /> Built in 1941 by the Sussex Shipbuilding Company as a Harbour Defence Motor Launch (ML 1085) her wartime duties included minesweeping. She also took part in the D-Day landings. <br /> <br /> From the end of World War II and through the 1950s she was engaged as a Survey Launch before becoming a passenger ferry (originally named 'Pembroke Shearwater'). She was bought by Arisaig Marine Ltd in 1973 and served the communities of the Small Isles until 2002.