Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
MV Shearwater approaching Mallaig
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GAUKROGER_122
PLACENAME
Mallaig
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
Jamie Gaukroger
ASSET ID
22491
KEYWORDS
boats
ferries
passenger ferries
MV Shearwater approaching Mallaig

For almost 30 years the MV Shearwater sailed from Arisaig to the Small Isles of Eigg, Muck, Rum and Canna during the summer months. She was owned and operated by Arisaig Marine Ltd.

Built in 1941 by the Sussex Shipbuilding Company as a Harbour Defence Motor Launch (ML 1085) her wartime duties included minesweeping. She also took part in the D-Day landings.

From the end of World War II and through the 1950s she was engaged as a Survey Launch before becoming a passenger ferry (originally named 'Pembroke Shearwater'). She was bought by Arisaig Marine Ltd in 1973 and served the communities of the Small Isles until 2002 when she was sold to a private owner in Inverness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

MV Shearwater approaching Mallaig

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1990s

boats; ferries; passenger ferries

Jamie Gaukroger

For almost 30 years the MV Shearwater sailed from Arisaig to the Small Isles of Eigg, Muck, Rum and Canna during the summer months. She was owned and operated by Arisaig Marine Ltd.<br /> <br /> Built in 1941 by the Sussex Shipbuilding Company as a Harbour Defence Motor Launch (ML 1085) her wartime duties included minesweeping. She also took part in the D-Day landings. <br /> <br /> From the end of World War II and through the 1950s she was engaged as a Survey Launch before becoming a passenger ferry (originally named 'Pembroke Shearwater'). She was bought by Arisaig Marine Ltd in 1973 and served the communities of the Small Isles until 2002 when she was sold to a private owner in Inverness.