Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Scene at Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GHENDRY_042
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
George Hendry
ASSET ID
22586
KEYWORDS
landscapes
coasts
Scene at Gairloch

This photograph shows a view from the shore of Gairloch looking out across Loch Gairloch towards Longa Island. A small boat, most likely maintained for fishing, can be seen pulled up on to the shore.

Longa Island is presently uninhabited and is composed mainly of sandstone covered with grass and heather. A small fishing community resided on the island during the early years of the eighteenth century, but it was abandoned during the later years of that century.

The Gairloch community once consisted of a number of small scattered settlements. Prior to the completion of the road in 1843 (the current A832) access to the area was almost exclusively by sea. Once 'opened up', the Gairloch area became a popular destination for Victorian tourists wishing to sample a taste of the Highland 'sublime'. The area experienced a boom following a royal visit in 1877 by Queen Victoria, who rested there during her stay at nearby Loch Maree Hotel.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Scene at Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

landscapes; coasts

George Hendry

This photograph shows a view from the shore of Gairloch looking out across Loch Gairloch towards Longa Island. A small boat, most likely maintained for fishing, can be seen pulled up on to the shore.<br /> <br /> Longa Island is presently uninhabited and is composed mainly of sandstone covered with grass and heather. A small fishing community resided on the island during the early years of the eighteenth century, but it was abandoned during the later years of that century.<br /> <br /> The Gairloch community once consisted of a number of small scattered settlements. Prior to the completion of the road in 1843 (the current A832) access to the area was almost exclusively by sea. Once 'opened up', the Gairloch area became a popular destination for Victorian tourists wishing to sample a taste of the Highland 'sublime'. The area experienced a boom following a royal visit in 1877 by Queen Victoria, who rested there during her stay at nearby Loch Maree Hotel.