Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Calling the ferry at Strome
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GHENDRY_068
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
SOURCE
George Hendry
ASSET ID
22612
KEYWORDS
Stromeferry
Calling the ferry at Strome

This photograph shows a kilted man, blowing a bugle to call across the ferry at Strome, on the banks of Loch Carron. The ferry crossed from the entrance of Loch Carron to Strome, serving mainly a local clientele. It became obsolete and ceased operation in 1971 when the old road along the north shore of Loch Carron was reconstructed to reach Inverness. A ferry returned to service briefly in October 2008 (and again in 2012) when landslips made local roads unsafe and alternative access was required during repair work.

The ruin of Strome Castle, originally belonging to the MacDonalds of Glengarry, is located opposite Strome Ferry on the northern bank. The castle was burned down in 1602 by the MacKenzies of Kintail.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Calling the ferry at Strome

ROSS: Lochalsh

Stromeferry

George Hendry

This photograph shows a kilted man, blowing a bugle to call across the ferry at Strome, on the banks of Loch Carron. The ferry crossed from the entrance of Loch Carron to Strome, serving mainly a local clientele. It became obsolete and ceased operation in 1971 when the old road along the north shore of Loch Carron was reconstructed to reach Inverness. A ferry returned to service briefly in October 2008 (and again in 2012) when landslips made local roads unsafe and alternative access was required during repair work.<br /> <br /> The ruin of Strome Castle, originally belonging to the MacDonalds of Glengarry, is located opposite Strome Ferry on the northern bank. The castle was burned down in 1602 by the MacKenzies of Kintail.