Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Carron
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GHENDRY_079
PLACENAME
Lochcarron
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochcarron
SOURCE
George Hendry
ASSET ID
22623
KEYWORDS
Loch Carron

A view looking south-east down the sea-loch Loch Carron, in Lochalsh. The Highland Railway can be seen heading east in the foreground.

The ruins of Strome Castle, originally built in the fifeeteenth century by the MacDonald Earls of Ross, can be viewed on the north shore of Loch Carron, 3.5 miles south-west of the village of Lochcarron. In 1539, King James V of Scotland granted the castle to the Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry. In 1602 the castle was besieged by Kenneth Mackenzie, first Lord Mackenzie of Kintail, and following the MacDonells' defeat, it was blown up.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Carron

ROSS: Lochcarron

George Hendry

A view looking south-east down the sea-loch Loch Carron, in Lochalsh. The Highland Railway can be seen heading east in the foreground.<br /> <br /> The ruins of Strome Castle, originally built in the fifeeteenth century by the MacDonald Earls of Ross, can be viewed on the north shore of Loch Carron, 3.5 miles south-west of the village of Lochcarron. In 1539, King James V of Scotland granted the castle to the Clan MacDonnell of Glengarry. In 1602 the castle was besieged by Kenneth Mackenzie, first Lord Mackenzie of Kintail, and following the MacDonells' defeat, it was blown up.