Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Sandy the Carrier' and his daughters, East Lewiston, Glenurquhart
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GLENURQUHART_DUNCANMACDONALD_007
PLACENAME
East Lewiston
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
SOURCE
Glenurquhart Heritage Group
ASSET ID
22657
KEYWORDS
carter, carriers, kennel, carters, tradesmen, family, families, McDonald, MacDonald
'Sandy the Carrier' and his daughters, East Lewiston, Glenurquhart

This photograph shows a carrier (a Scots word for 'carter') named Alexander MacDonald, with two of his daughters. The carrier has a beard, which was fairly common before disposable razorblades were invented. The old barrel at the side of the photograph contains a bed of straw, because it is a kennel for the dog (seen behind the carter's leg).

Alexander MacDonald was born around 1846 in Urquhart, the son of crofter John MacDonald and his wife, Ann Beaton. In 1876 he married Margaret Jane McKenzie. The couple lived at Coiltyside all of their lives, raising a family of nine. Margaret died in 1928 and Sandy in 1932.

Coiltyside had been the McKenzie's family home since 1800 when the family moved to Lewsiton from Fort Augustus. Margaret Jane McKenzie was the daughter of William McKenzie, a carpenter and precentor. William's father, William McKenzie (c1764-1837) was a carpenter, session clerk, and one of the 'Men of Glenurquhart' (religious purists).

Before motorised transport became the norm, carts were generally used for transporting goods in rural Scotland. Because the village of Glenurquhart has a shallow coastline and a pier several hundred yards outside of the town, the carrier's main work was to transport goods from ships at temple pier. Before petrol motors were the common mode of transport, the Loch was the main root for conveying merchandise.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Sandy the Carrier' and his daughters, East Lewiston, Glenurquhart

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

carter, carriers, kennel, carters, tradesmen, family, families, McDonald, MacDonald

Glenurquhart Heritage Group

Glenurquhart Heritage Group (photographs)

This photograph shows a carrier (a Scots word for 'carter') named Alexander MacDonald, with two of his daughters. The carrier has a beard, which was fairly common before disposable razorblades were invented. The old barrel at the side of the photograph contains a bed of straw, because it is a kennel for the dog (seen behind the carter's leg).<br /> <br /> Alexander MacDonald was born around 1846 in Urquhart, the son of crofter John MacDonald and his wife, Ann Beaton. In 1876 he married Margaret Jane McKenzie. The couple lived at Coiltyside all of their lives, raising a family of nine. Margaret died in 1928 and Sandy in 1932.<br /> <br /> Coiltyside had been the McKenzie's family home since 1800 when the family moved to Lewsiton from Fort Augustus. Margaret Jane McKenzie was the daughter of William McKenzie, a carpenter and precentor. William's father, William McKenzie (c1764-1837) was a carpenter, session clerk, and one of the 'Men of Glenurquhart' (religious purists).<br /> <br /> Before motorised transport became the norm, carts were generally used for transporting goods in rural Scotland. Because the village of Glenurquhart has a shallow coastline and a pier several hundred yards outside of the town, the carrier's main work was to transport goods from ships at temple pier. Before petrol motors were the common mode of transport, the Loch was the main root for conveying merchandise.