Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rear View of Lewiston Arms
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GLENURQUHART_DUNCANMACDONALD_013
PLACENAME
Lewiston
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Glenurquhart Heritage Group
ASSET ID
22663
KEYWORDS
public houses
spirits
pubs
recreation
socialising<br />
Rear View of Lewiston Arms

The Lewiston arms has long been an important feature of Glenurquhart, as it is built on the outskirts of the town. It is attached to the Lewiston Hotel, which was built in the late 1830s and used as a brewery until 1870, indicating that it did not have a licence to sell alcohol until this time. It was under the ownership of a Colonel Malcolm.

The creation of Lewiston was supervised in 1803 by one of the Seafields called Sir James Grant who was also the founder of Grantown and Milton. Whilst modern day Lewiston was built on a slightly different site, it was constructed by families from the original village, and was built to accommodate a similar type of industry.

Sir James is often credited with saving the area from the worst difficulties of the post-Jacobite social problems in the Highlands of Scotland. The primary difficulty was a growing trend to focus agriculture on large farms with minimum staff. This meant that the old feudal system, in which a clan submitted to a chief, but owned their small fields, was no longer viable.

Seeing that the landowning system based on smallholdings was being swept aside, James Grant helped to support artisans in the Glenurquhart region, and changed its emphasis from a farming community to one with a large manufacturing base. This is why Milton and Lewiston were relatively successful, and Glenurquhart was not depopulated to the extent of the surrounding areas during the clearances.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rear View of Lewiston Arms

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

1950s

public houses; spirits; pubs; recreation; socialising<br />

Glenurquhart Heritage Group

Glenurquhart Heritage Group (photographs)

The Lewiston arms has long been an important feature of Glenurquhart, as it is built on the outskirts of the town. It is attached to the Lewiston Hotel, which was built in the late 1830s and used as a brewery until 1870, indicating that it did not have a licence to sell alcohol until this time. It was under the ownership of a Colonel Malcolm. <br /> <br /> The creation of Lewiston was supervised in 1803 by one of the Seafields called Sir James Grant who was also the founder of Grantown and Milton. Whilst modern day Lewiston was built on a slightly different site, it was constructed by families from the original village, and was built to accommodate a similar type of industry. <br /> <br /> Sir James is often credited with saving the area from the worst difficulties of the post-Jacobite social problems in the Highlands of Scotland. The primary difficulty was a growing trend to focus agriculture on large farms with minimum staff. This meant that the old feudal system, in which a clan submitted to a chief, but owned their small fields, was no longer viable. <br /> <br /> Seeing that the landowning system based on smallholdings was being swept aside, James Grant helped to support artisans in the Glenurquhart region, and changed its emphasis from a farming community to one with a large manufacturing base. This is why Milton and Lewiston were relatively successful, and Glenurquhart was not depopulated to the extent of the surrounding areas during the clearances.