Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two Carrier Ladies in East Lewiston
EXTERNAL ID
PC_GLENURQUHART_DUNCANMACDONALD_014
PLACENAME
East Lewiston
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Glenurquhart Heritage Group
ASSET ID
22664
KEYWORDS
carriers, families, clothes, MacDonald
Two Carrier Ladies in East Lewiston

This photograph depicts two carrier ladies (carrier is a Scots word for Carter) outside Coiltyside, East Lewiston, Glenurquhart. They are the daughters of Alexander MacDonald, known as 'Sandy the Carrier'. They both wear white aprons because handling goods for the cart would leave their clothes dirty.

Alexander MacDonald was born around 1846 in Urquhart, the son of crofter John MacDonald and his wife, Ann Beaton. In 1876 he married Margaret Jane McKenzie. The couple lived at Coiltyside all of their lives, raising a family of nine. Margaret died in 1928 and Sandy in 1932.

Coiltyside had been the McKenzie's family home since 1800 when the family moved to Lewsiton from Fort Augustus. Margaret Jane McKenzie was the daughter of William McKenzie, a carpenter and precentor. William's father, William McKenzie (c1764-1837) was a carpenter, session clerk, and one of the 'Men of Glenurquhart' (religious purists).

Because the village of Glenurquhart has a shallow coastline and a pier several hundred yards outside of the town, the carrier's main work was to transport goods from ships at temple pier. Before petrol motors were the common mode of transport, the Loch was the main root for conveying merchandise.

The creation of Lewiston was supervised in 1803 by one of the Seafields called Sir James Grant who was also the founder of Grantown and Milton. Sir James is often credited with saving the area from the worst difficulties of the post-Jacobite social problems in the Highlands of Scotland. Primarily, the difficulty as that there was a growing trend to focus agriculture on large farms, with minimum staff. This meant that the old feudal system, in which a clan submitted to a chief, but owned their small fields, was no longer viable.

Seeing that the landowning system based on smallholdings was being swept aside, James Grant helped to patronise artisans in the Glenurquhart region, and change its focus from a farming community to one with a large manufacturing base. This is why Milton and Lewiston were relatively successful, and Glenurquhart was not depopulated to the extent of the surrounding areas during the clearances.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two Carrier Ladies in East Lewiston

INVERNESS: Urquhart and Glenmoriston

1920s

carriers, families, clothes, MacDonald

Glenurquhart Heritage Group

Glenurquhart Heritage Group (photographs)

This photograph depicts two carrier ladies (carrier is a Scots word for Carter) outside Coiltyside, East Lewiston, Glenurquhart. They are the daughters of Alexander MacDonald, known as 'Sandy the Carrier'. They both wear white aprons because handling goods for the cart would leave their clothes dirty.<br /> <br /> Alexander MacDonald was born around 1846 in Urquhart, the son of crofter John MacDonald and his wife, Ann Beaton. In 1876 he married Margaret Jane McKenzie. The couple lived at Coiltyside all of their lives, raising a family of nine. Margaret died in 1928 and Sandy in 1932.<br /> <br /> Coiltyside had been the McKenzie's family home since 1800 when the family moved to Lewsiton from Fort Augustus. Margaret Jane McKenzie was the daughter of William McKenzie, a carpenter and precentor. William's father, William McKenzie (c1764-1837) was a carpenter, session clerk, and one of the 'Men of Glenurquhart' (religious purists).<br /> <br /> Because the village of Glenurquhart has a shallow coastline and a pier several hundred yards outside of the town, the carrier's main work was to transport goods from ships at temple pier. Before petrol motors were the common mode of transport, the Loch was the main root for conveying merchandise. <br /> <br /> The creation of Lewiston was supervised in 1803 by one of the Seafields called Sir James Grant who was also the founder of Grantown and Milton. Sir James is often credited with saving the area from the worst difficulties of the post-Jacobite social problems in the Highlands of Scotland. Primarily, the difficulty as that there was a growing trend to focus agriculture on large farms, with minimum staff. This meant that the old feudal system, in which a clan submitted to a chief, but owned their small fields, was no longer viable.<br /> <br /> Seeing that the landowning system based on smallholdings was being swept aside, James Grant helped to patronise artisans in the Glenurquhart region, and change its focus from a farming community to one with a large manufacturing base. This is why Milton and Lewiston were relatively successful, and Glenurquhart was not depopulated to the extent of the surrounding areas during the clearances.